Follow me on Instagram
SHEIKH ZAYED MISQUE - ABU DHABI - UAE 🇦🇪 #sheikhzayedmosque
Sheikh Zayed Modque is the third largest mosque in the world - after the ones in Mecca and Madina in Saudi Arabia.
It is named after the founder and first President of the UAE, the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan.
The construction of AED 2.5 billion-project began in the late 1996. About 3,500 workers helped realising the complex over a period of almost 12 years.On the 20th of December 2007, the mosque was initially opened to the public and prayers.
- The complex covers an area of 22,412 m2
- 33,000 tons of steel and 250,000 m3 of concrete were used. They lay on 6,500 foundation piles
- The courtyard has a total of 1,048 columns
- A total of 82 domes belong to the mosque
- The main dome is the largest mosque dome in the world: 85 metres high with a diameter of 32.8m.
- Some 41,000 worshippers can be accommodated in the mosque, 7,126 in the main prayer hall.
Another astonishing feature of the mosque is the over 5,625 m2 large carpet in the main prayer hall. It has been hand-knotted by about 1,300 Iranian craftsmen out of 35 tons of wool and 12 tons of cotton. With a total of 2,268,00 knots, the carpet is the largest in the world. Its estimated value is about 30 million.
The mosque is open for prayers all day long. For the non-muslim visitors, the visiting time is from 9 AM - 10 PM every day except for Friday mornings. Visit timing changes during the holy month of Ramadan.
#unitedarab #unitedarabemirates #danskerejseblogs #travelguide #abudhabiblogger #travelgram #travelabudhabi #gotoabudhabi #instaabudhabi #grandhyattabudhabi #rejse #rejser #rejseblog #rejseblogger #rejseblokken #travelabudhabi #reise #wanderlust #politiken_rejser #uae #sheikhzayedmosque
🕌 #grandmosque #grandmosqueabudhabi #carpet #aed #singletravel #sultan