In yoga, it’s important to pay close attention to the alignment of your FEET!
It may seem like an insignificant detail, but it isn’t.
The adjustments we make to the feet are usually NOT for your foot OR ankle- they’re for your hips!
The feet and the hips have a very close relationship.
In fact, the muscles that point the toes in or out are the same ones that stabilize the pelvis!
To really appreciate this anatomical connection try this:
1. Sit in a chair or the floor with your legs straight out in front of you, toes pointing up.
3. Turn your toes out /heels in (V) and then toes in / heels out (teepee) several times.
4. Notice the movement: the whole leg rotates in and out, all the way from the hip.
5. Notice the engagement: With heels together / toes apart (V) you can really squeeze your butt. With toes together / heels apart (teepee) it’s much harder.
6. Do that a few times...
- Heels together / squeeze your butt
- Heels apart / relax your butt - Heels together / squeeze your butt
- Heels apart / relax your butt
The muscles responsible for making a V with your feet are under your glutes.
So when you” squeeze your butt” you bring your heels together...
But also, bringing your heels together will help you squeeze your butt... In other words, it’s a two way street.
So in class, when you hear the instruction to point the toes in or out, usually it’s in an effort to help you engage or disengage certain hip muscles.
So don’t ignore your feet, y’all!
I hope this is helpful!
Here’s this week’ schedule!
BRIDGEHAMPTON (Hamptons Hot Yoga)
Tuesday 9:30 - 10:45 am
Friday 4:30 - 5:30 pm
Sunday 10:30 - 11:45 am
UPPER EAST SIDE (Bodē Nyc)
Thursday 4:00 - 5:30 pm
BAYPORT (Bikram Yoga Bayport)
Saturday 7:00 - 8:30 am
Saturday 9:00 - 10:00 am
Hope to see y’all there!!
Always with love, Dr. Corinne
#feet #alignment #alignmentyoga #poorfeet #southampton #bridgehampton #yogainthehamptons