Travelling solo - a few thoughts now that I’m home
I booked this trip a few days before leaving. After I clicked book, I felt a roller coaster of emotions. Luckily I was reading the book ‘I’m fine and other lies’ by @Whitney
cummings and something stood out, “if it’s hysterical, it’s historical”. I could write a whole post on this but suffice it to say I decided that I needed to do this for myself. A few things that were on my mind while there and after..
1. This trip allowed for a lot of reflection, which can be bad and/or good. I journaled ALOT which is new for me. I found it helpful to bring it with me everywhere and anytime I felt something I’d write. I tend to label my emotions as good or bad and run from them. This trip gave me time to write, reflect and truly just “feel”
2. Travelling alone allowed me to see the country through a different lens. Not one that was better or worse but an alternative. Since I was alone I was more aware of my surroundings, more alert, less distracted which has its benefits. I was able to appreciate the beauty of Panamá
3. As someone who tends to keep to them self a lot, I really had to push myself to initiate conversations even if it made me very anxious and uncomfortable (book ☝🏼). I met countless wonderful people along the way who I am certain I would not have met had I travelled in my typical fashion
4. I am capable of much more than I thought. I can navigate difficult situations. I. Can. Do. It.
5. Social media can sometimes perpetuate this idea that everyone’s life is perfect. In my experience this can be hard to see when you are struggling and feel like everything is falling apart. It can make you want to hide, pretend or just run away. This is where I was at before leaving and let’s be real, a week long trip and having a few pretty photos to post does not a solution make. But opening up, speaking your truth and knowing yourself is the first step. There is a reason why they tell you on planes to put your air mask on first before helping others. Making yourself a priority once in awhile is not selfish, it is necessary
#letsbereal #speakthetruth #selfcare #loveyourself #discoveryourworld