Gossipy/ irreverent things I learnt from my Museum Hacks tour at the Met Museum:
1. William the hippo really has only 1 leg - the other 3 are restorations added by mistake Ooops!. 2. The museum has a 1000-year old pile of rubbish and old raisins on display.
3. The Temple of Dendur (entire temple), gifted to the US by Egypt, was picked by Jackie O and meant to be in Washington but she was convinced to let the Met have it when they moved it to a spot she could overlook from her penthouse! 🤔
4. John Stuart Curry celebrated John Brown in his painting but the choice is a bit bizarre give his questionable, terrorist like methods. Love the crazy face though!
5. “Washington crossing the Delaware” has so many things going wrong with it - it is painted in the day not night, him standing in boat is really not a good idea, the flag in the painting didn’t exist till 2 years later, why are there horses on the tiny boat, Meryl Streep is on the boat and there are African Americans, Native Americans there etc etc. Plus it this iconic American painting was painted by a German artist! And what is that poking out of his trousers???!!!
6. Nobody pays attention to the most expensive piece paid for by the Met - Duccio di Bouninsegna’s Madonna and Child bought at $45M!
7. A visitor tripped and put her elbow through this Picasso. She was breathalyzed and if she was drunk would have had to pay for the repairs! The value of the $140M piece went up afterwards! #metropolitanmuseumofart #gossip #isittrue #museumhack