SWEET POTATO TURKEY SHEPHERD’S PIE . . . 🍠
. . . had lots of requests for this deliciousness! A variation of a classic comfort dish with a healthy twist. Also great for leftovers the next day! Enjoy! xo
- Sweet Potato Topping -
3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into small chunks
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- Turkey Filling -
2 tsp avocado oil
1 clove of crushed garlic
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb free range lean ground turkey
1 cup peas, cooked
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup sliced carrots (I used a mixture of orange, purple & white)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup organic chicken stock
Himalayan sea salt
Pepper *option fresh parsley to top
1. Place sweet potatoes in a large pot with water, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until very tender, about 20 min (test to make sure they are cooked through)
2. Preheat oven to 400F
3. While the sweet potatoes are cooking, add avocado oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, stir and cook until onions start to soften, about 3 minutes.
4. Add turkey and separate. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Stir in mushrooms, peas & carrots. Add in Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and chicken stock. Stir well to combine until turkey and veggies are cooked through about 5 to 7 minutes. Spoon the filling evenly into a pie dish or an 8x8.
5. Drain sweet potatoes and put into the food processor. Add in the coconut oil and salt. (*You can also mash but the topping won’t have as smooth of a consistency)
6. Spread the sweet potatoes evenly on top of the filling. Use a fork to draw furrows & sprinkle with sweet paprika.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, until bubbling and browned. Remove from the oven, let sit for a few minutes, sprinkle with fresh parsley & serve.
#healthyeats #glutenfree #glutenfreerecipes #healthyshepardspie #sweetpotato #turkey #healthycomfortfood #shepardspie #nutrition #nutritioncoach #fitfam #fitness #health #yycfitfam #yycnutrition #yycnow #yycliving #healthylifestyle #itsalifestyle