This recipe is very reminiscent of the good old hamburger helper days with it’s delicious beefy cheesy macaroni pasta mixed with the flavors of a chili soup. Perfect quick comfort food for chilly day or pick me up 😊
1 tbsp oil
1 medium onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound lean ground beef
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup beef stock
1 cup water
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese blend
1. Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and cook until the onion has softened, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
4. Add the chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, and brown sugar.
5. Add the water, stock, tomato sauce, and tomato paste and stir to combine.
6. Add the pasta and stir to combine. Cover the pan and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook until the pasta is al dente, about 12-13 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the pasta from sticking.
7. Turn off the heat under the pan and add 1 cup of cheese. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and cover the pan again. Let stand for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
⠀⠀ #delicious #feedfeed #foodlover #tastemade #appetitejournal #foodblog #thekitchn #hamburgerhelper #chilimac