Cesarina Monica follows her grandmother Giuliana’s recipe for apple cake, known as ‘torta de pom’ in the local dialect, to the tee.
Apple & Pear Buckwheat Bircher Muesli:
1/2 cup buckwheat groats
1/4 cup almond flakes
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup coconut flakes
3 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
3 Tbsp goji berries
2 Tbsp flaxseeds
1 organic apple
1/2 organic pear
1 cup natural coconut yoghurt
3 Tbsp of plant base milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp organic apple syrup
Juice of half an apple (optional)
1. Place buckwheat groats in a bowl and cover with filtered water. Leave to soak up to 1-2 hour.
2. Drain and rinse the buckwheat groats and place in a bowl.
3. Grate apple and chop pear into small pieces and place in the bowl with the buckwheat groats.
4. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
5. Spoon the mixture into a jar with a lid and place in the fridge over night.
6. When ready to eat you can Top with some sliced pear, chopped apple, a sprinkle of coconut flakes, flaxseeds and cinnamon.
This delicious gluten and dairy free Apple & Pear Buckwheat Bircher Muesli recipe is the perfect way to start the day. This bircher muesli is creamy, sweet and packed full of nutritious whole food ingredients from your local Huckleberry’s.
Once your buckwheat has soaked it only takes a few minutes to make. Place in the fridge over night and when you wake, breakfast is already for you (perfect to grab, run and eat). I know this apple and pear buckwheat bircher muesli will become a morning favourite.