[In honor of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer week, as well as National Previvor day]
9 days marks my one year anniversary with the foobs. On October 12, 2017, I underwent an elective double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. While the choice to have the surgery came easy, the timing and recovery did not.
I found out I was BRCA1 positive when Max was 6 months old. Upon meeting with the genetic counselors and doctors, I found that I carried a 70-80% risk of developing breast cancer in my lifetime as well as a 40% risk of ovarian. Since hereditary cancer isn’t driven by other factors such as estrogen, it means there is no “timeline” for when it could strike. There are no age markers, no grid, nor any concrete guidelines; which means, the earlier prevention, the better. The pressure was on to stop nursing Max and have surgery sooner rather than later. This was for both the removal of my breast as well as ovaries. At the time, we only had one child, and my heart wanted more. Ultimately, we decided to hold off on any surgery, grow our family and breast feed each child for at least one year. Like I said, the choice to have surgery came easy, but the timing didn’t. The pressure was great and I spent many sleepless nights doubting my choices and wondering if I was risking too much. I told myself to trust my gut and continued nurse what was now our second child, Theo. During this time, we lost a woman in our community to breast cancer. Her story, so similar to mine, she too choose to wait until after having children and nursing to remove her breasts, and as a result, she developed cancer, which ultimately took her life. Her story and the loss weighed so heavy on my heart and made me feel so foolish and naive, yet I couldn’t help but feel like I was making the right choice to wait. ****** Story continued in comments *******
#doublemastectomy #doublemastectomywithimmediatereconstruction #doublemastectomywithreconstruction #BRCASisterhood #Foobs #previvor #FatGrafting