Hey there! Welcome to my little corner of the internet. I’m so glad you’ve joined me here. My name is Emily, and I’m on a journey to learn Chinese from home in my small Iowa town. This is where I’ll document that journey!
Here’s some background about who I am and why I’m studying Chinese:
1. I took three years of Chinese in high school, so I have a little background in the language.
2. After college, I lived in #Chengde
, China for a year and a half where I taught English. During that time I was so busy with teaching as many extra classes as possible that I didn’t study the language as I would have liked. While I can use the language in simple conversations, I’m nowhere near the level of fluency as I hope to be in the future.
3. My hometown, Muscatine, IA, has a lot of Chinese visitors every year since it is home to Chinese President Xi Jin Ping’s “Old Friends” - He spent time here in 1985 and then returned for a visit in 2012.
4. I used to think I was just terrible with languages, but because I love Chinese people and enjoy the language I want to keep pushing forward with it.
5. I know that Chinese language learning requires a lot of dedication and effort. I’m excited to keep learning from others about what works for them! Looking forward to connecting with you more.