Making any chocolate recipes for the holidays? Bring out the chocolate flavor by adding one of these secret ingredients! Make this loaded chocolate bark that's topped with flaked sea salt for a delicious, chocolatey treat. #tuesdaytips #nginyc
LOADED CHOCOLATE BARK WITH NUTS, SEEDS, AND ORANGE CHIPS
(Yield: About 10 3-inch pieces)
-1 thin-skinned orange
-¾ cup shelled pistachios, toasted, cooled and roughly chopped
-¼ cup hazelnuts, toasted, cooled, skinned and roughly chopped
-1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted and cooled
-1 tablespoon chia seeds
-1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted and cooled
-1 teaspoon orange zest
-1 cardamom pod, ground finely and sifted
-12 ounces dark tempered chocolate (65% cacao content)
-2 teaspoons flaky sea salt
Special equipment: Candy thermometer
1. Preheat oven to 150F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Thinly slice orange widthwise and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 2-3 hours until dry, but slightly sticky. Remove from oven and let cool.
3. When cool enough to handle, break orange slices into shards; set aside.
4. In a large bowl, toss together nuts, seeds and orange zest to thoroughly combine. Place in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Set aside.
5. Melt chocolate in a double boiler until it reaches 88-90°F and pour over nut mixture to coat completely.
6. When chocolate is semi-cool but still tacky, sprinkle surface with sea salt and orange shards.
7. Place in a cool area of your kitchen or refrigerate until bark cools completely, and break up into bite-size pieces.
Do ahead: Orange chips can be made up to several days in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.