Maybe I should be more humble about winning this @aajaofficial
General Excellence for Multimedia award for our project “The Last Wild Place” for @civilbeat
but I am too proud right now for a few reasons.
1) My husband reporter @nathaneaglecb
and I created this project together from conception to final product. With the help from a team of course.
2) I am an Asian American and this is from the Asian American Journalism Association. Being a sixth generation in Hawaii, I’ve never felt so connected to other people from my culture before.
3) This is my first journalism conference as an attendee. I’ve tagged along to a few with @nathaneaglecb
which usually means I get to sleep in and lounge by the pool, but not this time.
also won an award for her Pacific Islander reporting on Guam and was an amazing partner to attend this conference with. She stokes my 🔥
5) I am proud to announce that I will be starting a full-time position with @civilbeat
at the end of September as the Events and Membership Manager.
6) The subjects of environmental protection, climate change, wildlife, plastic pollution, the ocean and Hawaii are incredibly important to me and that is what our project highlights.
7) I can’t wait to show this to all of my grandparents. 🏆
#aaja18 #aaja #asianamerican #photojournalist #civilbeat