(Admin 3) This is a big one. My top 5 rappers ever. This could very well change soon, and will update if necessary.
- Kanye West. You know the man, he’s one of the most impactful artists of the century. He started out much more lyrical, and his masterful production skills sometimes has overpowered such. Still an iconic figure in the hip hop lexicon.
- Kendrick Lamar. K-Dot in my opinion is the best RAPPER of the generation. His flow, mood, and creativity rival some of the greats. Despite his most recent albums leaning more on a commercial side, records like To Pimp a Butterfly and Good Kid MAAD City show off the duality of Lamar. I hope his expertise bleeds into the next wave of rappers.
- Tupac Shakur. Unless you’ve lived under a rock since the 90s, you have to know the name. A legend among the hip hop community, and even general pop culture. He brought an unmatched attitude to the genre that has likely inspired so many modern artists. However, since his life was tragically cut short, he would’ve been the definite GOAT if it weren’t for his lack of material.
- MF DOOM. Although DOOM is not a name that comes to mind to the typical rap fan in terms of the greatest, I believe he is the runner-up. His flow and delivery is the greatest I’ve heard. Also, his vocabulary is insane, and shows on tracks like That’s That. Quite underrated despite the hefty acclaim.
- The Notorious BIG. Biggie is always up near the top with Tupac, and I believe he’s the best to do it. Just like Shakur, his personality was heavily influential. Also, he had a slim discography. However, what he made was legendary, front to back. I think his debut is arguably one of the greatest albums of all time. He deserves the immense recognition.
#kanyewest #kendricklamar #tupac #mfdoom #thenotoriousbig #rap #hiphop